We see a tremendous amount of sports injuries in our practice. We are the best choice for chiropractic in Camarillo CA and there are a lot of children and adults participating in sports. Though there is no such thing as a "safe" sport, highly competitive sports, such as football, baseball, crossfit, and gymnastics pose particularly higher risks of injuries, especially among children.
At our chiropractic office in Camarillo, we apply many of the best forms of therapy to get people better. Some of these methods are unique to our office. Chiropractic adjustments to the spine can be done the standard way or without any forceful manipulations at all. This is important because a sports injury is already a force that has overpowered a persons' body. We provide the best chiropractic methods for each individual situation.
According to experts, as much as 20 percent of all sports-related injuries involve the lower back or neck. Running, crossfit, weightlifting, and other sports that involve repetitive impact, expose children to a high risk for low back injuries. Contact sports, such as soccer and football, expose the cervical spine, or neck, to injury. More than one-third of all high school football players sustain some type of injury. Soccer participants are easy candidates for mild to severe head traumas, neck injuries, cervical spine damage, headache, neck pain, dizziness, irritability, and insomnia. Heading the ball, the act of using the head to re-direct the soccer ball, has been linked with cervical injuries in children and adults.
Here's a look at some of the other common injuries by sport:
- Cycling – Poor bike fit can greatly increase your risks of a back injury during cycling. We emphasize getting a proper bike fit and can refer you to many experts in the field. Aside from improper bike fit, misalignments of the body are common and excessive training can aggravate these misalignments. No amount of rest will change your body. Just like your bike needs to be tuned properly, so does your body.
- Golf – Common injuries incurred during the sport of golf usually involve ligament sprains to the lower back.
- Running – We recommend that you purchase a book called ChiRunning and/or get an expert to help you with your running form. Aside from improper running form, structural misalignments of the feet and/or weakness of the gluteus minimus and medius muscles are a common cause of running injuries.
- Swimming – Swimmers are known to incur shoulder impingement and pain in their shoulders. Motions such as the crawl or breaststroke can cause pinching of the rotator cuff and lead to mico-tears and fibrosis that can become chronic.
- Tennis – "Tennis elbow" is a layman's term for pain on the outside of the elbow, on or near the bony protrusion. Tennis elbow is caused when the tendon from the elbow bone tears or is ruptured. Shoulder injuries and turned ankles and knees also are common with tennis.
- Weight lifting/Crossfit – Crossfit is known for it's competitiveness and olympic lifting techniques. If your techique is spot-on perfect, there's less risk of injury. As fatigue sets in with the workout, if your form breaks down, the risk of injury becomes greater. In addition to this many be have pre-existing misalignments that predispose them to injury. Adding training to an already misaligned joint can lead to injury. Find out why we've been voted "Best Chiropractor in Camarillo."
Call our office at