THIS IS A NEW METHOD OF TREATMENT THAT TARGETS PERIPHERAL NERVE PAIN
DTM or Dermal Traction Method is a different type of chiropractic approach in that it prioritizes the health of the neurology in painful movement patterns. Pain of nerve origin is called neuropathic pain. Most physical medicine and rehabilitation targets bone, joint, muscle, tendon, and ligament. Therapies such as McKenzie Method allow us to reduce pain but peripheral nerves often are not helped by McKenzie Methods. This new method, DTM considers the neurodynamics of the superficial and cutaneous nerves.
How we perform the treatment:
- We will identify a painful movement
- Our understanding of the superficial neurology servicing that area allows us to pinpoint the cause of the neuropathic pain
- We rule out the spine and rule in/out nerve root involvement.
- We rule in the peripheral nerve pain via palpation
- Using suction cups or our hands, we lift to create space around those nerves while performing the painful movement.
- Often we will give the patient instuctions to perform procedures that will help at home.
- We ask that the patient perform these motions several times daily and before activity until the pain with the movement is gone
- Address possible functional causes for the original injury and/or pain
Call our office at